Monday, August 4, 2014

Progress

I have received my work authorization card! It took a long time, 7 months. Much longer than I anticipated, since my worst case scenario estimate was 6 months. But here it is, finally. And just in time too. Our car has died and a very costly reparation has pretty much emptied my bank account. We will also be moving starting August 18th, and security deposits and double rents do not help my cause.

Thus it is time to find a job. But what I have always been struggling with is the question of what I want to do. Initially I thought I could get away with a low paid job that I enjoyed, but reality is different. I will need to work full-time or close to full-time in order to have enough funds to get around.

Which probably means getting a soul-killing office job. Ideally I'd like to use my Bachelors degree, but living in a college town kind of lowers the value of a degree. Also, the degrees in the States are much, much easier to obtain than in Europe. So the employers wouldn't understand the value of my European degree. Any job regarding the environment is almost impossible to find for 2 reasons. #1 is that if you use the word environment, all you get is cleaning jobs. #2 is that the USA does not care about the environment, and thus there are almost no jobs in this area.

The government itself has some cool park jobs, but I do not qualify because they require the people to be citizens to apply for those particular jobs.

The search is officially on now though. So whatever I'll decide, I'll have to decide soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment