Tuesday, February 4, 2014

How to feel at home



A little more than a week has passed. I have had time to settle in and get adjusted. The jetlag was not a problem. And by that I mean, said jetlag did not exist. Another surprise was that I did not get sick. So you could say that the literal move from the Netherlands to the United States of America was as successful as one could hope for.

I set my first mark in our house by opening my suitcase. A big explosion must have occurred when I wasn’t paying attention, suddenly all my clothes decorated the bedroom as if I was living there for months.



Secondly, Michael and I had ordered poster maps online. They had been waiting for my arrival to adorn the walls. A 24 by 36 inch Lord of the Rings map, a 24 by 36 Game of Thrones map and a 27 by 40 inch map of the world, in antique colors. Two are now decorating our wall. The third frame has a crack and thus will be exchanged for a whole one.



And lastly, it was time for me to put my stamp on the contents of our cabinets, fridge and freezer. A great scouring of Wal-Mart, Target and Wards (local organic supermarket) took care of the severe contentual limitations. Unfortunately I also felt this in my wallet, but sacrifices have to be made for om noms.

Now that all of this has occurred I feel right at home. The only things missing are a hobby sport and some new friends. Both of which I’m working on. I’m looking into volunteer work for an animal shelter or perhaps on a retirement horse farm. Several riding schools have appealed to me, but I haven’t decided if I want to start spending money on a weekly basis when I have nothing coming in. if I manage to get some volunteer work with horses, I don’t mind waiting a couple of months before I start taking lessons again.

As for making new friends, Michael’s RPG group has welcomed me in their midst, so there will be a social outing at least once a week. Furthermore, I have signed up for several meetup groups. My first meetup will be Friday, 7 pm at a Starbucks. This one is of the Yoga meetup group and is to get to know one another. Another is the 26st for a meet, greet and eat. That one is for the ‘Girls just wanna have fun’! Good chances on meeting awesome people.

The first bureaucratic step has been taken today. I applied for my social security number. A helpful site advised immigrants to wait 2 weeks before applying; sometimes it takes a while to get into the system. I took my chances and waited a week. Everything went as it should. Sadly, it takes 10 days before I get my SSN. This translates into; no Valentine day wedding for Michael and I. We now have to think of another date that is super easy to remember.


Suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Neeee! 25 Maart is MIJN dag :P Die wil ik niet delen!

      Delete
  2. Sounds good dearie :) Glad you are finding your way there, comforts us here :) Although we never doubted you would ;)

    I really think the 8th of march is a good date ;) internation womens day ;) And not too far ahead ;)

    Of course we do want a LIVE wedding by skype or webcam! I can't imagine we won;t be there :( Think about it ;)


    xxx fem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I don't know about a live wedding, it's going to be pretty simple and plain. I won't even dress up you know!

      Delete