Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I'm such a loser

I was an hour early at the consulate. I was not late, this was good and planned. The consulate opened at 13:30, so I was cold and a little miserable while waiting. The first one in line was me. A girl I saw and recognized from the medical examination was second. We talked about our visa's, both the K1 fiance visa. Her boyfriend lived in Virginia. She and I both discussed the papers we had to gather and things we had to do to get here for the interview. Here is where I discovered that I was supposed to have transferred 180 euro to the consulate bank account and should have brought a copy of the payment with me. I felt like she just hit me in the face with a brick.

Nothing to be done however. All the other papers she had collected that I had never heard off could not be magically conjured at that moment either. The time that the consulate opened had arrived and an grumpy and expectedly impolite officer/guard asked everyone to stand here and there. Did I have any electronics on me? Yes ofcourse, my phone. Get rid of those please. You mean shut it off or disassemble it? No, get rid of it somehow, NEXT.
If only they had that sign there
Well. I did not know that. Everyone else in line apparently did know you could not have electronics on you. I panicked, made an expensive and useless phone call to Michael who yelled at me and was angry about the forgotten payment. The solution ended up being a café who didn't mind holding on to my electronic belongings. I got back in line (the last person now).

The guards were suspicious by the sudden absence of my previously present phone. I swayed them in the end to believe me I truly left them at a café.

Then a confusing, chaotic and uncomfortable process of putting your bags in baskets and getting through the metal detector. Which ended in me trying to quickly get this part of the interview behind me by walking away on my socks and leaving my shoes behind. At least that got a smile out of the guard, while I hastily mumbled something about nerves and scurried away this time with my shoes on. Obviously thén I had to scurry back because I had no clue where to go because I didn't listen to the guard in my embarrassment.

By this point I felt like I did at my driving exam. I was going to fail this anyway, so why worry. I didn't make the required payment, and come on, we are talking about Americans here. They are not going to go easy on me! It was completely my fault anyway, because I totally missed it.

I got in line as the last one. I saw the girl getting her visa, yay for her, grats, good luck etc etc bye. The people before me all had so many more prepared papers and documents than I had. It was like I was in high school again, and I studied just enough to pass, and everyone else was going for that 10/A+. Well whatever, I managed to graduate then, didn't I? Who says I wont pull it off again.

The lady behind the window was ridiculously nice. That was unexpected. She asked me for my birth certificate and I said to her: Look, I don't want to waste anyones time so I'll just tell you this right now. I didn't make the required payment because I forgot, I understand if we need to reschedule now.

She was so kind to me. She made several phone calls and enquiries and in the end it was possible for me to pin the money. Which normally wasn't allowed. I thanked her profusely for her effort. My idiotic mistake was undone by a woman's kindness. After that little bump in the road there were some doubts over the lack of financial documents (only 2) but it didn't come up again later.

Then I went to the window where the immigration officer stood. He asked me 3 questions. Was I married, was Michael married and how did we meet. After all questions were answered within 1 minute, he informed me the visa and my passport would arrive in the mail within 4-5 days. My jaw dropped open. All that worrying and preparation for nothing. All the gathered evidence and duplicates. It seemed that my 'studying to pass the exam' was still excessive!


In short: I got the K1 fiance visa. Which means I have 6 months to leave for America, and from the day of arrival I have 90 days to get married. After which a whole new process starts to get me a permit and stuff.

Hurray! I got a visa even though I almost screwed it up! The loser that is me didn't end up ruining her own future.


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!! Wat leuk dat het allemaal gelukt is!! :D succes met de laatste regelingen/planning! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome news! I totally know how you feel about the nervousness, I was the exact same way! Thankfully for me, it was crazy easy to immigrate to DK.

    ReplyDelete