Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A bad book is your worst enemy


Since the month March, I have been stuck in a book. To the Lighthouse from Virginia Woolf. The book has 154 pages and is quite thin. I normally blow through books of 500 pages or more in a day or 2. But this book is so. incredibly. boring.

Apparently it's high standing literature and a favourite of many out there. Hence the reason I wanted to read it. But I can't for the life of me understand why this book got rated so highly on Goodreads. She writes very poetic indeed, but where is the story? Is there even a story? I don't know, and that seems to be the problem.

 Unfortunately I got this pet peeve where I have to finish every book I start. Now I have had some exceptions where I simply gave up, but I remember every single book I haven't finished and they are an everlasting thorn in my side. So I'm determined to read through this. I mean, it's so TINY. How can I give up on such a thin book. I'm on page 69, not even half-way. Admittedly, the book has gotten slightly better after page 40, as was promised in the reviews. Still though, I struggle.

You'd think that it's not a problem right. Who cares if you are in a book read set-back. Well, on Goodreads there is this book challenge. And I challenged myself to read 50 books this year. I was well ahead of my challenge, but because of this bane of a book I am now behind. I NEED to finish this in order to make my challenge of the year.

I don't know what to do really, this is a problem for me. I want to spend my rare spare time on things I like. But I can't convince myself that putting aside a 154 page book because I can't finish it, is a good idea. The only thing to do is to just force myself and struggle through this monster. It might take me more months and put me way behind my challenge. But what do. Time to man up and read this... thing.

A quote by a famous writer which ironically, has written one of the very few books I have put aside (Midnight Children).
"A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return."
Salman Rushdie

I cannot take his advice, I will not ignore it! Sacrilege!

Does anyone else have this problem? Being stuck in a book but out of principal reasons not being able to move on? Sometimes you just have to stick to your principals!

No comments:

Post a Comment