Thursday, May 9, 2013

That's different

To be honest, it stays weird to me that everything is so far apart here. You need a car to get to anywhere at all. But even when things are close by, they take the car anyway. Walking is not done. You walk to and from your car, and that's that.

For example, Michael's mother works at a school about a 5-10 min walk from here. Sometimes we want to borrow her car and we walk over there to go get it. And every time we do, people exclaim in surprise and offer to drop us off. No no we say, it's a short walk not a problem. Alright.... They'll say with a look that says you are crazy. It's super nice of them to offer, but a 5 min walk is so normal to me that I shudder to think about taking a car for that.

Of course I knew this already, but it just keeps surprising me. Just like I knew that the States has crappy bread. But then I come here and poke at that spongy rectangle they call bread and I cringe. How do people even manage to get bread that soft. It's unnatural!

Another thing that shocked me - but then realised that it made sense for them - was when I saw Michael's 4 yr old nephew shooting a BB gun on his own. He was just sitting there on the swing chair, cocking it and merrily trying to hit plant pots. Mind blown here. But almost everyone here hunts, and I guess it makes sense to get your kid familiar with guns in a relatively safe way. They teach him where to aim and not to aim, to put the safety on when he lays it down etc.

I mean, I tried to shoot it when he walked away, and it took me a good few minutes to figure out the safety was on. After that I asked him to show me how it worked and we shot at plant pots together. Isn't that hilarious? A little guy of 4 years old taught me to shoot a BB gun!
So complete different worlds for sure, once I move here it's gonna take me quite a while to get used to everything.
and this little guy is 2 years old!

No comments:

Post a Comment